Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring in Seoul

Well, spring is here in Seoul.

The weather is warm, and there are beautiful flowers everywhere. Also, I've just recently had to teach Unit 3 to my sixth grade students, entitled "I like spring", and its really boring to teach (and probably to learn as well!)

The week before heading to Japan, Bobby and I decided to explore the cherry blossoms that Seoul had on display. First we went to Changgyeonggung Palace, which we'd been to, but wanted to visit again. The cherry blossoms were great and there was a big fish pond with giant fish.

On date night, I took Bob to Yeouido Park, behind the National Assembly of Korea. It was incredibly croweded. We're talking tens of thousand of people. It was worth the throng though. The trees were lit up in many different colours that night, and the road was closed off for people to walk along, and for cotton candy vendors (with the cotton candy machine attachd to the back of their moto) and dried squid vendonrs, and for performances and bands. We caught a really great jazz band dressed up as clowns, and followed them down the street for a while. The only problem was trying to get a taxi or get on a bus when we decided to leave. It took forever!

Last week the subject teachers in my office decided to take Wednesday afternoon off to go out for a movie and then for dinner. I was very fortunate and they treated me to both. We watched Slumdog Millionaire (which I'd already seen), at the CGV theater near Bulwang Station. Korean movie theatres are odd. Firstly, there is assigned seating, which you are expected to sit in, even if you're the only people in the theatre. Secondly, there is a variety of weird things that are offered at the snack bar, such as dried squid. We then went out for dinner at an Italian restaurant near Bob's school. When you eat a meal in Korea, you order a few dishes of different things, and then everybody shares. Same goes for the drinks. One coke was ordered, and we just passed around the glass. It's very odd, but a good system, because you can try basically everything you want.

On Monday, my package of Easter presents arrived from home. It was heavy, and the worst day possible to arrive, due to the major storm happening outside. There were gail force winds, and my umbrella repeatedly turned inside out until I gave up on using it. The rain was pooling on the ground; there was so much of it.

Today is Wednesday, and my favourite day of the week, by far. To begin with, the week is almost over. Also, its my shortest teaching day, and we have date night tonight.

I'm trying to blog more often, which is difficult. But I'm trying!

1 comment:

Keith said...

You guys get a D- for your blogging skills.

Hoo aw